Sunday, January 18, 2009

We Are One (half million) Concert

"I came here from Missouri. There was no way I was missing this." That is what I heard a father say, walking his kids to the Lincoln Memorial at 9am this morning. The concert may have been over five hours away and the temperatures may have hovered around the freezing point, but everyone was excited to come out today for the big "We Are One" Concert. We were lucky enough to get seats in the frong quarter of the Mall. Here is the crowd behind us:
The long wait went by surprisingly fast with the company of a dozen of my friends. One of my friends asked if this is what Woodstock was like; for law students and political junkies, this may be the closest thing. I am not sure when will be the next time I will be at a concert with hundreds of thousands of people, braving the elements. Here are some of us, all bundled up.
It was a lot of fun seeing stars like Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, and, Samuel L. Jackson, Queen Latifa, listen to Martin Luther King III at the same place his father spoke, watch Jamie Foxx's great impression of Obama, and sing-along to U2, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Garth Brooks (American Pie was a crowd pleaser, no matter what other people say), John Legend, Beyonce, and more. I loved that the line-up was as diverse as the crowd. And of course, everyone was really excited to see the guest of honor, President Elect Barack Obama, speak:
Tomorrow I will probably rest up a little bit for the even bigger festivities on Tuesday. You can check out more pictures from today on my Flickr Photostream.

No comments: