Saturday, October 18, 2008

Law & Ordering

This was the first Saturday in a really long time that I have not had to go to school. There is nothing better than sleeping in on a weekend and watching Law & Order in your pajamas.

As I was watching, I realized how much more that I understand with a few years of law school under my belt. And unlike some lawyers who cannot stand seeing some errors in the show (especially regarding ethical issues), I still enjoy it as much as when I did in high school.

The interesting part about shows like Law & Order and ER (when people actually watched it), is that they make legal and medical issues accessible to people who do not have any background in it.

I wonder how many people were inspired, like me, to become a lawyer after watching Jack McCoy give those closing statements. Or to become a doctor after watching Doctor Carter save a life. I know it made a huge difference for me because coming from a family with a science-oriented background, I had very limited knowledge of the kind of work any lawyer did. Now, less than a decade later, I am in a courtroom representing clients with McCoy zeal. Behold the power of television.

No comments: