Friday, October 17, 2008

Bruins (Re)united

Tonight I went for dinner with Alex and two friends from UCLA, one of whom goes to Michigan medical school and is in town for a conference. The four of us were half of the slate of candidates who ran for student government, also known as the "Dream Team." It was almost surreal being all together outside of Kerckhoff Hall and in DC. Instead of handing out tacos and otters pops on the campaign trail, we feasted on delicious Mediterranean mezze (like tapas) at Zaytinya.

I do not miss being in student government for a second, but I do miss many of the people I served with. I might be biased, but I think our term had some of the most dynamic leaders from all corners of campus. It was a humbling experience to be surrounded by people with such impressive backgrounds, even the members who were part of the other party who I did not agree with.

After we dispersed on the metro, Alex said our dining companions were good people and we need to do a better job keeping in touch with them. It helps being in DC, the mecca for student government or politically inclined folks, even if they are not here for politics. It's actually funny how I see more UCLA people in DC than in California. But we won't be here forever.

No comments: