Monday, March 03, 2008

The Chocolate Factory

Today I got an email from our Lexis (one of the legal research firms competing for our loyalty) representative saying that they were setting up a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN on the sixth floor to promote their training classes. Not only is having a chocolate fountain at school a semi-ridiculous image, it is of course when I give up sweets for Lent. Since Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent...
  • Our school has hosted a "Chocolate Bash" to raise money for summer grants
  • I attended an Inaugural Ball with fancy Italian desserts
  • Valentine's Day has passed
  • One of the new editors on our journal baked a cheesecake from scratch for everyone
  • Girl Scout cookies have gone on sale
  • The paralegal in our office has baked organic cookies that actually looked good
  • And there have been many birthday celebrations with sweets
Although feeling like the kid in a candy store has felt like a cruel joke, it has actually been a good learning experience. I do not consider myself a person with a "sweet tooth," but it was not until this Lent did I really realize how much I am surrounded by sugary treats that are not good for me.

And no we do not usually have chocolate fountains set up around school, so do not think we are that spoiled. The amount of sweets has actually been an anomaly, but that makes it an even better test of will power.

No comments: