Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ashy Wednesday

I have noticed that Catholicism tends to be a more introverted religion. Some of us may wear crosses or publicly pray, but we are mostly taught that religion is more private. Just look at today's Gospel:
"When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you . . . When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them . . . When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance, so that they may appear to others to be fasting."
So I always find Ash Wednesday to be interesting because we are all "outed." We practically have Catholic written on our foreheads with ashes. And during Lent, you can tell who is a practicing Catholic when people start ordering the vegetarian option on Fridays. (Thanks for the picture Faith!)

As for my personal Lenten resolution, I am giving up all sweets and Facebook. Not saying this to show off my piousness, just an explanation of why I may miss wishing you a happy birthday or not respond to your wall posts.
------------------------------------------------------
Random Notes:
  • Three people asked me what time Ash Wednesday services were yesterday. My friend said that I was like the WCL Catholic School Room Mom.
  • Incidentally, two other people called me mom yesterday- a friend after I reminded her to do something and another friend after I told him not to worry about the election results and that he should get some sleep.
  • It was 75 degrees today and sunny. February, 75 degrees. What the heck?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the very reason for why the holy Gospels and scriptures are so misconstrued. You're interpretation is pathetic and it's people like you that has twisted the faith and actually, introverted practices.

This passage of the Gospel simply says, "Do not exagerrate your faith." That is to say my ignorant stranger, that you must not make yourself "fake" the prayer session just so others can see, but pray because you want. Do not extend hypocrisy into the church and be not thou a hypocrite and a liar. It means and says nothing about privatizing the faith at all. If it was so, there would be no need for the Church of God. We could pray at the privacy of our own home. When you go to church, shut up and listen.

Anonymous said...

Your*

Anonymous said...

"As for my personal Lenten resolution, I am giving up all sweets and Facebook."

Wow, since when does the Catholic church allow for the customization of religious practices? You feel you need to customize a religious sacrifice to suite your needs? That in itself, is not a sacrificial act.

Kristina said...

I believe that we all take different things from Gospels and scriptures, and if you want to disagree or correct me, that is fine. But to do so in such a patronizing and rude way is uncalled for.

I will be no longer be responding to you, especially if you hide behind the veil of anonymity.