Friday, July 13, 2007

Foodie

Foodie is an informal term for a particular class of aficionado of food and drink. The word was coined in 1984 by Paul Levy and Ann Barr for their book, The Official Foodie Handbook. Gourmets simply want to eat the best food, whereas foodies want to learn everything about food, both the best and the ordinary, and about the science, industry, and personalities surrounding food. --Wikipedia

Although I've always loved cooking and watching Food Network, I didn't really become a foodie until more recently. I'm obsessed with Top Chef, know famous chefs, love trying new restaurants and dishes, search for fresh ingredients, saw Ratatouille, reading A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain, and have become a tad more adventurous.

Today, one of the lawyers in our office won a free lunch at a Thai restaurant. Even though I love pad thai, I decided to be different and try a very tasty duck dish in a basil and chili sauce. After watching Top Chef, I even noticed that I start to look at things like how the dish is plated, how the textures and flavors work together, etc.

Though some people brush off Top Chef as another reality show (or unfairly criticize it like Jamie Lee Curtis), this isn't just another show watching people sit around or compete for dates. Top Chef gives a behind the scenes look of something that we all enjoy: food. As someone who loves watching the creative process and just learning about different professions in general, its fascinating.

Top Chef has made me appreciate my food so much more. Now when I cook, even if its just for myself, I usually make quality food and plate it nicely. And Monday is sushi with the girls-- a food that I finally tried this Spring Break-- and that I now enjoy and think is one of the prettiest foods out there.

No comments: