Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Working 9 to 5

5 Reasons why I love my new externship:
  • Constitutional law issues all the time! And putting my nerdy knowledge to practical use makes it even better.
  • Seven total interns and a fun senior staff creates the busy office environment with lots of projects going on that I haven't had since I interned on the Hill.
  • The organization I'm working for is bipartisan, which is something I'm not used to. I'm excited for the challenge, like my first assignment: writing an op-ed convincing Senator Sam Brownback to support habeas corpus restoration for Guantanamo detainees--from a conservative standpoint.
  • I get a great mix of handling legal, policy, and political issues, with a side of event planning too (*crossing my fingers for the Sandra Day O'Connor event*).
  • I have an office, well actually I share an office but I don't mind because my fellow intern is really nice and we talked about how they suspended Habeas Corpus in Pirates of the Carribean. Yes, fellow law nerd. But most importantly, I got to stock up on office supplies today. Post-its!
Although I don't get paid, I get six units-- which is many more units per hour compared to the ratio for all the work during the school year. Oh, and can you tell that this seems a tad bit more enjoyable than some of those classes during the year?

It's only been one day but I have a feeling it's going to be a fun summer. I can only hope that I will be as excited when I take my first job out of law school.

No comments: