Thursday, November 02, 2006

Coming Full Circle

Almost exactly five years ago, I stared outside a bus window in awe as we drove down the most beautiful road lined with fall-colored trees and colonial style brick houses. Then we pulled up to American University's law school, headed up to the top floor, and sat through a mock class in the ceremonial moot-court room. The professor sat in the judges seat and various students were called down to the podium to debate a first amendment issue.

Who knew that I would end up at the law school I visited on a high school conference about law. That instead of a big charter bus, I would be taking a city bus down that exact same road and see the same cute houses and trees. That instead of sitting in a mock class, I would be sitting in the exact same room as a law student. That I would be at the plaintiffs table as one of my collegues was up at the podium arguing the case that I helped prepare. (FYI: our side won and it was great!)

Part of me knew that I would be at law school right out of college, but I didn't know that it would be at American. Funny how parts of your life can give you glimpses of your future and you don't even realize it.

No comments: