Wednesday, November 01, 2006

An American University

Reason # 2348259 why I love going to school in DC: The national sampling of students.

As people started talking about the buying prep courses for the bar exam (way too early for my liking), people were all discussing what state they were planning on taking the bar exam for. Although most law schools have students that will practice in the state where the school is located, this is not true for DC schools.

I've met people from probably half the states in our country. From opposite sides of the country, inbetween and even outside the continguous states: Washington (the state) to Florida to Kansas to Alaska. Now that I think of it, I've even met people from Singapore and France.

Sometimes I wish we could just start off class with "show and tell" with people from each state. You know, just a time when people can describe what it's really like from a state and tell us if there's any truth to the perceptions people commonly have. I know people always ask me about the weather, ocean, movie stars, the OC, and having Arnold as our governor.

It's kind of like undergrad where you met people of diverse backgrounds, now we're just adding regional differences too. Because as much as NorCal people try to pick a rivalry with SoCal, we're not nearly as different as people from different parts of the country. I've had a lot of fun learning about igloos in Alaska and churhces in the bible-belt south. And I've learned that there's no place like home in California.

No comments: