Saturday, November 04, 2006

And So the Job Hunt Begins...

As though we 1L's didn't have enough to worry about with finishing up clasess, writing memos, outlining and studying for finals, and trying to fit in the eating and sleeping part, they throw another ball in for us to juggle: thinking about the summer job.

Early this morning, dozens of first years groggily climbed up what must have been the longest broken metro escalator ever to attend career day. Although we're not allowed to formally start applying to jobs until December 1st and a lot of people say that you can hold off until winter break, it's nonetheless something else that is on our minds.

I guess it was really a reality check today that we are at a place to prepare us to get a job. That whole learning thing is just a step to get us there. My undergraduate education never really seemed career driven because I always knew that there would be 3 more years of school before I would enter my profession. Now everything seems to be so geared practically, which with its positives and negatives, is just a fact of life. Because unless you are absolutely crazy and decide to go to more schooling after this, you are going to have to get a job. And obviously the law school knows this, and that's why they rent out big ballrooms and give us free meals to help us with our career hunt.

All in all, it's very exciting and scary at the same time. Even though I know that my first summer job probably won't be the same place I work after I graduate or for the rest of my life (one, because I plan on moving back to California; and two, because I learned today the average lawyer has eight different job), you of course want to end up somewhere that is good and actually interests you. Oh growing up...

No comments: