Sunday, November 05, 2006

I Voted (Even if I don't have the sticker to prove it)

This is the first election since I could vote that I haven't done any campaigning (well, at least nothing since the primary election). And because of that fact, I almost forgot to mail in the absentee ballot. Fortunately I remembered, spent Thursday night watching Grey's anatomy and reading through pages of proposition stuff, and mailed in my vote. Although it felt a little anti-climactic voting absentee, I'm sure being able to watch election returns in DC will well make up for it.

Not being embedded in the election this time as a volunteer, I got a totally different perpsective of everything. I can see why people don't care, don't vote, or make uninformed decisions. Although I don't think that this is a good thing at all, taking a step back as a political junkie, I can at least understand where they're coming from. After the non-partisan analysis of the first few propositions, I was sick of reading the material. If I probably hadn't attended many CA Democratic conventions, I probably wouldn't know nor care about a lot of the statewide offices. And we won't get me started on being bombarded with misleading commercials that have overtaken the little tv time I do get in the week. It's easy to see how people can be turned off.

Even though my vote isn't going into any hotly contested races, I'm still glad that I read up on as much as I could and let my voice be heard in California. And I don't think that there's anything wrong with voting because you like it's your civic duty, just as long as they're somewhat informed decisions. What were mine? Nothing really surprising, pretty much down the party line for offices with one exception: insurance commissioner. I think I'll save that for it's own entry tomorrow.

PS: Even if he is predicted to get creamed, I still heart Phil.

No comments: