Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

Halloween's never been my favorite holiday. Sure my made us really cool costumes, but being the wuss that I am, I hated all the scary stuff.

Then I came to college and developed a great dislike for the holiday. Firstly, on Halloween so many college girls who feel the need to dress in...very provocative costumes. I know that dressing a certain way doesn't make someone a bad person, but I just don't like seeing that much of anyone. But even worse than that were many bad memories associated with the day, much like how bad relationships can make people hate Valentine's Day. My first year I had my first two midterms of my college career on Halloween. One of those was Prof. Thies' comparitive politics midterm, probably the hardest midterm I took in all four years. Second and third year also had more midterms. And then my fourth year, UCLA had a devasting loss to Arizona.

However, I think today has helped me make amends with Halloween. As I walked out to the bus stop, I noticed for the first time that the leaves were beautiful autumn colors. And it was my perfect weather: clear blue skies and a slight autumn breeze so you only need a light sweater. Living outside of a college town, I now also see little kids in adorable costumes and jack-o-laterns sitting on porches. And best of all, my favorite professor came to class dressed as a vampire (fake fangs and all) and gave us dark chocolate hershey kisses. Oh, and I do have my memo due tomorrow but it's already done.

I'm glad that I reconciled with Halloween, because I really love celebrating all holidays. I'll finish up with a picture that I promised my mom I would post up. Here's my roommate's and my Halloween costumes. She's a Ninja Turtle and I'm a DC light post.

No comments: