Tuesday, August 24, 2010

One Year

It is hard to believe that it has been a full year since I first started my job clerking. On the one hand, I feel like I just started, on the other, I have seen and experienced so much. After going through a dozen trials, hundreds of cases, and thousands of motions, here are some things I have learned in the past year:

  • TV has nothing on what happens in real life cases.
  • Everything I ever learned in law school actually exists in the real world. Especially property. Ugh, property.
  • The term "complex litigation" is redundant.
  • You never know what a jury is going to do.
  • I never want to be a landlord. Nor do I ever want to open a restaurant.
  • For better or worse, people have faith in the judicial system to take care of all their problems.
  • The court can do a lot, but it can also only do so much.
  • A little good lawyering and writing goes a long way.
  • There are a lot of bad lawyers out there, like report to the bar bad.
  • Rich or poor, family members always find something to fight about. Their fights are also the worst.
  • People really do not like the DC government.
  • Every freak accident you can ever imagine actually happens.
  • Some people just want their day in court.
  • People who scam other people out of their mortgages are nothing but pure evil.
  • The line between criminal law and civil law is not always clear.
  • People watch too much Judge Judy.
  • Civil cases can help restore people from wrongdoing.
  • "Case settled" are my two favorite words. 
  • Justice usually prevails.
  • My judge is pretty amazing.

No comments: