Sunday, August 22, 2010

Foodie Family

Most of the people I know who cook inherited their skills from their moms. I had the good fortune of having two food-loving parents. I remember helping my mom cook dinner--both Vietnamese and American food--and bake goods for the classroom and many bakesales we roped her into.

However, I also remember my dad cooking for us, especially on the weekends when my mom worked. One of my favorite dad-meals was hot dog or spam fried rice, but he made much more sophisticated things as well. My dad, brother, and I also would watch food shows on the weekends on PBS before the food network even existed.  Our favorites were Yan Can Cook ("If Yan can cook, so can you!"), Julia Child (way before Julie & Julia), and the Frugal Gourmet (sigh, Jeff Smith, I never knew about the sexual assault charges against you). I'd like to think we were foodies even before it was cool.
My dad visited us this weekend on his way back from a business trip overseas. Knowing how much I like his rendition of Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon came prepared to make it. He even packed the herbs in a zip-lock bag (preparedness runs in the family). The result, a delicious home-cooked meal in my new home. Mmmm.

No comments: