Friday, January 01, 2010

Oh Nine

My annual review of the year . . .

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Some "firsts" in chronological order (aka highlights of the year): Attended a Presidential Inauguration, ate Carolina barbeque, saw Justice Scalia talk in person, graduated from law school, took the California Bar (fortunately first and last time), worked a full time job, cheered for Brett Farve, watched my first trial, attended a football game south of the Mason Dixon line, hosted a Thanksgiving dinner, helped shovel a car out of snow.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I wanted to read a book a month, which did work out due to my reading narcolepsy. This year my brother and I have a pact to run a half marathon. Hopefully having a buddy will help.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not that I can think of.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, fortunately.

5. What countries did you visit?
Another domestic traveling year, visiting Georgia and the Carolinas for the first time. It's almost like a different country down there.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
2009 was pretty fulfilling, but question five reminded me that I would really like to travel abroad again.

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 20. Getting up at 4am, walking across DC to get to our ticketed area, standing in the freezing cold, watching history, dancing at an inaugural ball. Amazing day.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Passing the California bar exam. Being the first member of my family to graduate from law school comes in a close second.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting the stress get to me while studying for the bar.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major. Though in a bout of paranoia, I thought I may have had pig flu. I was wrong, of course.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A plane ticket home to surprise my mom for her 50th birthday.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Family, boyfriend, and friends for their unconditional support through a year with many transitions.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Many of the people involved in cases that I see at my job- both the parties and their lawyers.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and paying back my Doan Loan (aka: law school loans).

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Passing the bar exam.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas and any Lady Gaga song because they remind me of my nights out with my friends and driving around town with Alex.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? Same
iii. richer or poorer? Richer. Finally, a regular income!

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Volunteer work around DC.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stress out about pleasing everyone.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas with family in California.

22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
More every day.

23. How many one-night stands?
Not applicable

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Top Chef, Law and Order SVU, West Wing, Greek, Gossip Girl (I am not ashamed to admit), and my newest discovery-Mad Men. I have also fallen in love with our DVR machine, which has revolutionized my tv watching).

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No one personally. However, there are a lot of lawyers on my "list".

26. What was the best book you read?
The Conviser Mini Review? (bar prep book). I really need to finish reading books; I started about a dozen this past year and cannot remember finishing any of them.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The genius feature on my new iPod touch.

28. What did you want and get?
A wonderful, intellectually stimulating job, where I get to serve people everyday.

29. What did you want and not get?
Making it into the Order of the Coif. Close, but no cigar.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Up! and Star Trek.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I took a break from studying for the bar by going to see Star Trek with friends, lounging by my friend's pool, and going to Ray's Hell Burger and Ray's the Steaks.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If my job and the city of DC was in California or if my family and California weather was in DC.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
25% casual (especially the summer where I bummed around in shorts and tank tops while studying), 25% business formal in my spiffy, new Calvin Klein suits, 50% business casual.

34. What kept you sane?
Taking one day at a time, exploring new lunch places this summer while studying, and perspective from friends and family.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I love Michelle Obama. John Hamm, who plays Don Draper on Mad Men, is also very good looking in his suits and fedoras.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Even though my interest in politics is waning, the economy, since it has impacted so many people I know.

37. Who did you miss?
Many of my friends and family who live in California, and some people from law school.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
The Judge I work for and my new law clerk buddies.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I saw it on a fortune cookie in my aunt's house: Pray for what you want, work for what you need.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say it's all right . . .

No comments: