Thursday, August 06, 2009

California Love

As much as I ridicule California's direct democracy style of government or their nonsensical laws, there is much more I love about the state.

Of course there is the food. Besides the Mexican food and In-n-Out that Californian transplants crave, we miss the produce and the "freshness" of California cuisine. My mom brought home a bucket of tomatoes from her friend's garden. My dad bought two huge boxes of sweet mangoes from the Vietnamese grocery store. I was excited to go to the grocery store and see rows of produce. We have produce in DC, but not as much and it just looks sad, even at places like Whole Foods.

Even though I have made pizza before in DC, there was something about the pizza I made last night that felt "so California." Maybe it is because the golden state is the home of frou-frou pizzas. Just pepperoni, no thanks. This pizza had sundried tomatoes, caramelized onions, artichoke hearts, olives, chicken, and mozzarella on a whole wheat crust. Mmm.

Another part of California I love: summer evenings. We headed out to the Hollywood Bowl for my uncle's birthday and it was a beautiful night for Miles Davis Jazz night.


I love how the Hollywood Bowl looks when it is lit up at night. Reminds me of California sunsets.

No comments: