Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Congressman Cao

Reason #23952 Why I Love Going to School in DC: You get meet the first Vietnamese-American member of Congress at an event he squeezed into his schedule of congressional meetings.

The Asian American Law Students group at my law school had it's second annual awards dinner today, and Congressman Anh "Joseph" Cao came by to deliver the keynote speech. When he came in and shook everyone's hands, he saw the last name on my nametag and said he was excited to see another Vietnamese person.

As I have written about before in my blog, his story is pretty cool. Like most Vietnamese-Americans who immigrated here during the war, he still has an accent and stands at only 5'2. With his slicked-back black hair, my friend Kim (who is also Vietnamese) said that he reminded her of her dad and uncles. It might sound corny, but it's comforting having a Vietnamese person, someone who looks and reminds you of your parents, serving in the Congress of the United States.

No comments: