Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oscar Run

I am not a big movie person, largely due to the fact that I fall asleep in around 75% of movies I see in the theaters regardless of how interesting they are. That means I usually will have only seen one movie, if that, which has been nominated for an Oscar.

I may have set a record this year by having seen three movies: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Slumdog Millionaire, and Frost/Nixon, which I saw tonight. And I actually want to see Milk, which would make four out of five. Thus far, my pick for Best Picture is Slumdog Millionaire. Loved the story, the actors (especially the little kids), the imagery, and the music.

It was interesting to see the shift in movies this year. Last year it seemed like all the movies were these macho, violent movies like No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. (Last year, the only nominee I saw was the happier movie- Juno). This year seems to be movies with a political/historical/social commentary bent, which I like a lot more. Maybe it's the election and Obamania that put us in the mood for these movies.

No comments: