Monday, December 01, 2008

No News, Good News?

While I was having a lot of fun with my family this past weekend, my heart also filled with grief when I saw and read about the attacks in Mumbai, India. I also became really upset and angry when I heard about the WalMart worker who was killed in a Black Friday customer stampede. While it did make it thankful for what I did have, the string of horrible events presented strange conflict of emotions.

It almost makes me wonder why I follow the news so much. Like my dad, I am a news junkie. I read it online constantly, I watch it on tv, I listen to news-related podcasts, I occassionally even read a newspaper. And thanks to the 24-hour news cycle and sensationalist stories, it seems like I get non-stop bad news. And the sad part is, that's just what makes the news. There are so many other horrific things that go on in the world that get no attention.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to not just care, to live in ignorance of what's going in the world around you. But I know I could never be like that. I think I just need to be a little less news-obsessed, do more, and remember that there is a lot of good out there. Maybe this is why I love sappy, inspirational stories on Extreme Home Makeover, during the last ten minutes of nightly news, and between sporting matches; it helps restore my faith in humanity.

No comments: