Sunday, December 14, 2008

Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It is amazing how much finals can kill the holiday spirit. I remember how bitter I was last week at the people buying Christmas trees, doing holiday shopping, and decorating their apartments. I try not to be a grumpy person, but it was purely jealousy. Whereas elementary schools had fun holiday parties with gift exchanges and songs, college and above has finals and then everyone leaves.

Fortunately this year, I finished finals early and have a little time to enjoy the holiday season here. We went to two holiday parties this weekend and the timing could not have been better. I cannot remember a time when I was so excited to do a White Elephant gift exchange, play charades with friends, sing along to a girl playing Christmas carols and Hannukah songs on an accordion (I kid you not), or have an eggnog cupcake.

How quickly I went from the hater to the person who people still taking finals hates. I just want to go iceskating and decorate cookies now. It's like the transformation that Scrooge felt in A Christmas Carole. I did not have a ghost of Christmas past, present, and future but there was the girl in the library on the crutch who was like Tiny Tim.

No comments: