Monday, November 03, 2008

Cautiously Optimistic

I cannot believe that voting starts in less than twelve hours. Even though we have been waiting for this day for years, and it still feels like the election snuck up on me. I am a little nervous and braced for the worst that could happen (mainly the thought of Sarah Palin as VP), but overall optimistic that Obama-Biden will pull through, Democrats will pick up more seats, and Proposition 8 will fail.

I am hopeful because, at the risk of sounding like a hokey Obama commercial, I have seen such a diverse group of people support Obama. I know at least a dozen friends from high school, college, and law school who voted for Bush and/or are self-proclaimed conservatives who are voting for Obama. Everyone from Evengelical Christians to Orthodox Jews to Muslim friends. Politically apathetical friends. Family friends who were refugees like my parents and are knocking on doors in Minnesota for Obama. The rural fisherman that Alex met in Oregon who has always voted for a Republican until this year. Even the fact that my dad, the "independent," is so pumped up for Obama gives me hope that everything will go well tomorrow.

It is time for me to get to bed now. Have to be up early to start election protection at 6am and then *cross my fingers* celebrate all day long.

No comments: