Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Breadwinners and Breadbakers

If you are looking for bakers or chefs, go to law school. From organizing our journal's staff breakfast, I learned that we have a lot. When I came up with the idea of the breakfast, I thought people would just buy items. Instead, we had homemade bread, Georgia peach coffee cake, crab and swiss quiche, blueberry muffins, pumpkin cranberry muffins (my addition), and even lemon, bacon, blueberry muffins. I am tempted to organize another potluck to see what else people come up with.

When I was at UCLA, I do not remember being around as many gourmands. Back then, I became everyone's hero for making something as easy as an apple crisp. Now, it seems like everyone cooks. Almost every food-related party that I have been to in law school includes homemade dishes rather ordered food.

Is there something about law school that attracts this certain kind of person? Overachievers who want to work and put a fancy dinner on the table? Elitists who like stinky cheeses and European chocolates? People who like to nourish others? Or is that we are around an older set of people now who live in real apartments and have to cook real meals instead of sneak into the dining hall? Or have people refined their cooking skills as a way to guiltlessly avoid work (we all have to eat, right)?

And a good question, probably in the head of our significant others, is whether this will continue once we graduate and start working those lawyer hours?

[Picture borrowed from Above the Law]

No comments: