Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Team USA

One of the many things I love about the Olympics is the camaraderie-- athletes are so supportive of each other, especially within each nation.

It's great to see Kobe and Lebron not only come together to play on the "Redeem Team," not only hang out with each other in Beijing, but go support other American teams like the men's Relay swim team and the beach volleyball players. I laughed when Jason Lezak said that he was swimming for Kobe and Lebron; he couldn't let them down since he's a big basketball fan.

Even I feel myself cheering for swimmer Rebecca Soni, who goes to USC.

Finally, after watching the USA gynmasts give hugs and high fives with the Chinese, they reminded me not to hate the Chinese athletes either. I feel like commentators and those of us watching at home get more riled up than the competitors themselves. Probably because the athletes can appreciate each other's talent and hard work. Don't hate the player, hate the game (and the governments who may or may not have forged passports, and the judges who can't get it right).

No comments: