Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This Bud's for . . . EU*

Maybe it's just because I one of those unpatriotic liberals, but I was surprised when people were upset about InBev, a Belgian company, buying out Anheuser-Busch. I thought people would be happy. Don't people just drink Budweiser, Bud Light, or Natural Ice (better known to poor college students as Natty Ice) just because they're cheap rather than actually taste good? Aren't Belgian beers vastly superior?

Apparently not everyone agrees. A CNN article had some interesting opinions: "I was actually drinking a Bud Light when I heard, and I couldn't even finish it. That's the honest-to-God truth," said Philip McClary from St. Louis Missouri, home of Anheuser-Busch. "I was proud to drink Budweiser, not any more," said P.J. Champion, a student at the University of Mississippi who said the brew is "a great piece of American history."

The only American beer I would have any pride in is Sam Adams (and ok, I admit that I like Budweiser Select's "Don't Hold Back" commercials), but when did watered-down Budweiser become the pillar of the USA? It's just like how I will never understand people who only buy American cars. I love America, but I would much rather drive reliable, affordable, and fuel efficient cars. Oh how I miss my little Japanese Civic.

Perhaps I do not have this sense of "Made in America" pride because I do not have family who work in manufacturing. Heck, most of my family wasn't "Made in America" either. I just buy what's good. And on that note, Happy Bastille Day!

*I admit that I stole this title from the Drudge Report. I also admit that the Drudge Report is on my rotation of my news sites that I read.

No comments: