Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Better Late than Never

Today Obama finally claimed enough delegates that he needed to secure the Democratic nomination for President. Even if Hillary did not formally concede tonight, I am thrilled that this is more or less done with and the campaign can focus McCain. And it doesn't hurt that I get to claim that I was on the winner's side (maybe not from the start, but officially picking Obama in Feburary does sure seem early in the game now).

I think the length and increasing negativity turned me off for a while. I stopped reading election news for a while and stopped listening to my election-related podcasts. My bout of jadedness even made me forget how historic this is or how unique this primary election was. Who would have ever thought it would be a black man and a woman battling it out. That every state and territory would get to hold their primary before a candidate secured enough delegates. That we would have such a close fight because people were so excited about their own candidate. That people would pack rallies like never before.

I am still undecided about how much I want to get involved with the general election, but at least I am excited again. Or as they say in Obama-speak: fired up, ready to go.

[Photo courtesy of NYT]

No comments: