Thursday, May 01, 2008

Top Chef'ing It: Blogs

If you are a Top Chef fan like me, I highly suggest that you check out the Top Chef Blogs on the Bravo website. In addition to giving insight into each episode, the blogs also impart cooking tips (ie: instead of salting your food, sometimes all you need is some acid) and factoids about food generally.

I especially enjoyed Chef Tom Collichio's response to this week's $10 Family Meal Challenge:

"And while this week’s Elimination Challenge may have seemed Draconian -- $10 to feed a family of four? And cooking healthily to boot? -- here are a couple facts to help put that in perspective:

• 28 million Americans (almost 10% of the population) will rely on food stamps as a primary source of nutrition this year.

• A typical food stamp allotment in this country is $21 a person a week, which breaks down roughly to $1 per meal, or $4 per meal for a family of four.

Suddenly that $10 doesn’t seem so bad, does it?"

Reading these blogs has been my routine before work on Thursdays. Ted Allen's and Tom's are probably my favorite, LeAnne's blog about behind the scenes action is really cool, and I love Harold's straight-talk. Just do not read Dale's (season 3) one blog-- he confirms that he is just as whiny and egotistical as I always thought he was. If only Anthony Bourdain would come back to blog, I would be most happy.

No comments: