So I think a lot of people were surprised when I decided last Saturday that I wanted to go to the Final Four in San Antonio in a week. In part it was a spontaneous decision, encouraged my by roommate and some other friends. Surprising to many is that Alex did not push this issue at all.
However, I did think about a lot of things, even within a short period of deciding. I always need to rationalize my decisions, both before and after. Here's what goes through my head:
- I missed my opportunity to go last year because of oral arguments.
- I have a lot of faith in UCLA basketball, but I do not know when they would make it into the Final Four again.
- I only have two in-class finals this semester, am 85% done with my paper for my seminar, and am not behind in my reading. (Plus, I really do not want to go to Wills, Trusts & Estates on Monday.)
- This may be the only time I will be able to see Kevin Love play as a Bruin.
- This is a historic Final Four with all number 1 seeds.
- Austin (where we are flying in) and San Antonio are fun, and I have never been in Texas without counting the airports.
- This will be an early anniversary trip for Alex and I, which will be especially nice since we will be separated this summer.
- I think I am getting a stimulus check. And even if not, I will actually have an income and cheap rent this summer.
- We will be able to see a lot of our friends from UCLA.
- Without class on Fridays, a real job, or major responsibilities like a family, I can be a little spontaneous . . . or at least look like it.