Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Working 9 to ...

It is 5:30pm. I have been at school since 8:30am, and after putting in a solid 9 hours of work (minus 15 minutes for a lunch break), I feel like it is time to go home. Unfortunately I will be at school for many more hours because I have a 10pm journal meeting. I guess I could go home at this point and come back, but the weather outside is far too cold for me to wait at the bus stop to come and go.

My plan is to work, at a leisurely pace, up until my meeting so I can have a completely free 4-day weekend. While I think I can get a few more hours of work done, I am slightly starting to lose my mind. I cannot find documents that I printed out, I even forgot why I was still at school.

What is the moral of this story? I cannot work at a big law firm. Not that I planned to. However, if there was any lingering desire to sell my soul after graduation, today has quashed that aspiration.

I can put in the long hours, and probably will today. However, I could not imagine working 12+ hour days every day, even if only for a few years.

No comments: