Thursday, January 31, 2008

Talkin' 'bout my generation...

Last night, my friend asked me to describe our generation in 3 words. After thinking about Generation Y, the Millennials, iGen, or whatever you want to call us people born from ~1982-1995, I came up with...
  1. Ambitious
  2. Technological
  3. Dependent
My friends turned out to be similar...
  1. Confident
  2. Needy
  3. Technological
These, of course, are very broad generalizations. However, I find the psychological and sociological studies about generations absolutely fascinating. I love reading about how we are the same and different from our parents (the baby boomers turned helicopters parents). How events and innovations have molded us. In the same way that my engineering dad and brother like to see how objects work, I figuring out why people are the way they are.

This all makes me wonder how our children's generation will turn out. Generation Z, or some other clever name they can call themselves. Relatedly, my friends Doug and Sarah are expecting their first child in August. I cannot believe that I have friends who have been married for four years and are having kids. And what more fitting way for them to announce it to all their friends, spread across the country, than to use Facebook. See my #2. Congratulations to them again!

No comments: