Friday, January 19, 2007

Me, Myself & My Laptop

On the first day of our property class, our class made a comprehensive list of what things are most valuable to us. After "our bodies as a manifestation of our personalities" (yeah, don't ask) was our laptops. When I think about it though, my laptop has practically become an extension of my body. I spend more time with my laptop than anything or anyone else.

It's usually the first thing I see in the morning, what I take with me to school everyday, what I work on when I come home, what I use to communicate with my friends and family, and the last thing I see before I go to bed.

This past week, I've also realized how my laptop has become my life support for information. I found out my grades online and facebook told me that two of my good friends ended their relationship with a broken heart icon.

It is interesting to see how computers and the internet have revolutionized what kind of information we discover, and how we can discover it. I remember during my senior year of high school, I wrote an article for my school newspaper debating another writer about the merits of finding college acceptances/rejections online.

I guess with any new innovation, there are pluses and minuses. The internet allowed the Dean of Berkeley Law School to incorrectly admit a slew full of people with the press of a button (no, not bitter at all). And it allows people to put up websites like this. But it also has amazing benefits that we all know, like providing you the ability to read this wonderful blog.

I think I am just going to try to cut back on this lovely innovation a tad bit. It scare me a little bit to be so dependent on something that can crash or lose connection. And I need to do this before my laptop goes from being an extension of my body to actually being me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know how you feel. As much as I've taken steps to keep myself from being directly psychologically dependent on a game, I don't think I could go without a computer for nearly as long. It's the best conduit I have to a vast majority of my friends, the sources of news and information, and the sources of entertainment I've come to enjoy.

PS That link is pure comedy gold. Thanks. :)

MK said...

This dependence is precisely the reason why I didn't own a laptop until this fall. Now I'm completely attached to this 4-pound bundle of joy and misery.