Thursday, September 21, 2006

My Personal Jurisdiction

This week in class I learned that I am not considered a citizen of the District of Columbia. No student, for that fact, is considered a citizen of the state (or district!) where he attends school. This is, at least, in regards to determining jurisdiction in federal cases.

While I still am considered a California citizen, I do feel like I have made my home in DC. On the school front, I've gotten into the study swing of things and have a little group of friends I eat lunch with and talk to after class. Got the neighborhood thing down with a church routine and a grocery store routine.

And finally, the last little piece has been making my home actually feel like home. Instead of going out tonight, I watched Grey's Anatomy with my roommate and then I hammered. Took out the tool box and put little nails into the wall to hang up a clock, a photo display piece, a white/corkboard, and pictures on my wall. Amazing how a few things up on the walls can really change a room.

So while I don't get much time to home decorate, or even just lounge around and enjoy my spacious apartment, it is nice having such a great place to come home to. Because I do consider this home, even if I wanted to be a citizen in order to claim diversity of citizenship to move a case to federal court, and statutory provisions say no. Oh yes, I am a civpro nerd.

No comments: