Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Four Year Life Cycle

It is hard to believe that tomorrow is my four year anniversary of moving to Washington, DC.

Although I had lived away from home before, it was the first time I felt like I was really out on my own. Instead of being 30 miles from my house like I was during college, I was 3,000 miles away. I had come with just two suitcases of clothes and moved into an empty apartment. No furniture. No car. I slept on the floor my first night in DC.

While it seemed like everyone else was reading hornbooks and preparing for law school, I had to build stuff. I feel like building your first IKEA bed is a rite of passage. Aspelund, you will have a special place in my heart.

Quite appropriately for DC, at the end of four years, some things must come to an end. Yesterday I sold my bed and today I sold my desk and executive chair. Even though I have known for months that this move was coming, it was jarring watching my buyers dissemble and haul everything away so quickly. All those hours of building. Undone.

I still remember collapsing in my empty bed frame while spending hours building it. And spending sitting at that desk studying.

At least I will take solace in the fact that it seems like they are going to nice homes. The buyers seemed like great guys, most of all because they were Craigslist buyers who actually followed through on their offers.

And yes, I did just get way too sentimental about furniture.

No comments: