Friday, August 06, 2010

The City

Although I am one of the few young people who actually admits to liking suburbia, I love living in the city at this point of my life. Last night I went to bed with the window ajar and woke up to the hustle and bustle of the city. There is something exciting about that. Maybe I associate suburbia with childhood, and this makes me feel grown up. Maybe I like the feeling of being in the middle of the action. Maybe I just like not having to drive anywhere.

I guess I should back up a little; this is what happens when I do not update. So in addition to the engagement, another big change in my life is that I am moving in with Alex officially by the end of August. I have been gradually moving over things this past month and staying there regularly while Alex is on vacation because someone needs to feed the cats.

Through his job, Alex currently lives in University housing, which moves me from my apartment in the quiet upper-NW quadrant of DC closer to Downtown DC. For context, my new place is a few blocks from the White House, with a view of the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument. So spoiled.

As well as being excited to be moving in with the fiance, I am excited about developing a routine closer to the heart of the city. I look forward to being able to walk to Trader Joe's and some farmer's markets, being able to run around the monuments and along the Potomac (once the humidity is gone), and being closer to more performing arts and things to do. Not that I could not do this all before, or could not do it if I lived outside the city. But now it is so close, so convenient. The game plan, as of the moment, is to live here for about one more year so I hope to make the most of it.

DC is no New York. It is not even San Francisco. But it is the perfect amount of city for me.

No comments: