Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lenten Resolutions

It may sound strange, but one of my favorite Catholic observances is Lent. When done properly, I think it is a great lesson in discipline that anyone can do. It gives you an opportunity to reflect on what you should do more and less of, and provides a manageable time frame to do so. Moreover, with everything that is going on in the world, it seems like discipline and moderation are things everyone could use more of.

Thinking of what to do this year was difficult. Although I am far, far, far away from being a saint . . . I do not have the traditional vices that people automatically think of giving up for lent (translate: I am pretty boring). I hardly drink, go shopping, or even drink caffeine. The things I need to do more of are already part of my new year's resolution: exercise at least days a week, watch only an hour of tv a day. Also, my mini-computer crash/epiphany helped me cut down on my biggest vice: wasting time on the computer. I do not use my laptop at school anymore which means no web browsing during class and hardly ever going on facebook. Finally, I have to be realistic. As much as I want to go do more volunteer work, I know it will not happen right now.

So what do I have left?
  1. No sweets, cheese, or snacking (except fruits, nuts, veggies). I would like to say I cook healthy meals but these are my downfalls.
  2. Less thinking negatively about people. Maybe it is something about being a third year who has been around the same people for what seems like an eternity, but I get easily annoyed at people. Even if I do not vocalize most of it, it is just time to let it go.
Keep me accountable, and do not let me complain about it.

No comments: