Friday, February 27, 2009

It's the Economy, Stupid

It's a strange time to be in law school. Today, Latham & Watkins, one of the largest and and most recognizable law firms in the country, fired 440 lawyers and staff members. I heard that's something like 20% of its associates domestically. Graduating law students with offers with the firm have an option of deferring for a year in exchange for a $65,000 stipend. Two of my friends are supposed to work there this summer, and thus far still have their jobs, but one offered to be my personal assistant while I study for the bar this summer if his position gets rescinded. Moreover, I found out that the Philadelphia District Attorney rescinded all of its offers.

When things like this happens, it kind of puts everyone in law school on edge--from 3Ls with post-graduation offers to 1Ls who will be looking for jobs in the fall. But aside from the law school oans, I would still say we are pretty fortunate and in a better position than so many other people. I feel like everyone will find something.

No comments: