I am not sure how Lifetime obtained the show (besides a lot of money, of course), but I would have fought tooth and nail if I were Bravo. In addition to being labeled the "gold standard" reality television, Project Runway helped revolutionize Bravo from a network of Circus du Soleil repeats to one of the powerhouse cable networks.
Anyway, before Lifetime possibly alters the show, I will count the ways I love it how it is:
- It has mass appeal: my roommates (both in college and law school) loved the show so we would have mini viewing parties, my mom is a fan, friends across the country tune in, and even my brother watches the show with me when I am home. Chatting about the show afterwards is just as fun as watching the show itself.
- I love watching the creative process, from inspiration to execution, especially because I used to sew clothes growing up.
- Tim Gunn. 'Nuff said.
- It gives an insider view to an industry that I knew very little about.
- It led to the creation of Project Rungay, a site with hilarious commentary.
- It paved the way to other Bravo reality shows that I am addicted to.
- As much as I hate to admit it, I easily fall victim to reality shows because, as my mom points out, I am a competitive person who loves watching competition. But I don't have to feel guilty about this reality show because it and Top Chef are much better than any other.