Thursday, July 17, 2008

Project Runway

I may not be a fashionista, but I am a huge Project Runway fan. I am excited that it came back today, but still saddened that this will probably be its last season on Bravo.

I am not sure how Lifetime obtained the show (besides a lot of money, of course), but I would have fought tooth and nail if I were Bravo. In addition to being labeled the "gold standard" reality television, Project Runway helped revolutionize Bravo from a network of Circus du Soleil repeats to one of the powerhouse cable networks.

Anyway, before Lifetime possibly alters the show, I will count the ways I love it how it is:
  • It has mass appeal: my roommates (both in college and law school) loved the show so we would have mini viewing parties, my mom is a fan, friends across the country tune in, and even my brother watches the show with me when I am home. Chatting about the show afterwards is just as fun as watching the show itself.
  • I love watching the creative process, from inspiration to execution, especially because I used to sew clothes growing up.
  • Tim Gunn. 'Nuff said.
  • It gives an insider view to an industry that I knew very little about.
  • It led to the creation of Project Rungay, a site with hilarious commentary.
  • It paved the way to other Bravo reality shows that I am addicted to.
  • As much as I hate to admit it, I easily fall victim to reality shows because, as my mom points out, I am a competitive person who loves watching competition. But I don't have to feel guilty about this reality show because it and Top Chef are much better than any other.
And for my fellow Project Runway fans, check out Heidi's favorites over the past four season.

No comments: