Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Operation Sudden Fall

Between working at a university's Office of General Counsel and having a boyfriend regularly conducts drug busts as a Resident Director, I am more aware of the pervasiveness of "hard" drugs on college campuses now than when I was actually a student.

Two years ago, I may have been surprised to read that 75 SDSU students were arrested in a drug investigation prompted by the cocaine overdose of a freshman student. Not now.

Though some of my more libertarian-leaning friends may disagree with the aggressive police action and undercover work of Operation Sudden Fall (the odd name of the operation "referred to the prospect of sudden death from drug usage"), two overdose deaths in the past year and finding three guns during the search show that this was a little more serious than your average pot-smoking at college. But hey, I might be a little biased since I work for "the man."

On a funnier note, here is my favorite part of the article:
"A criminal justice major was arrested on suspicion of possession of cocaine. As he was being arrested, he asked officers if this would hurt his chances for a law enforcement career, officials said."

No comments: