Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

I thought I would usher in the new year with remembering the old. Here is my annual recap of the year:

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
Some ‘firsts’ in chronological order: did not have to go to school because of a snow day, ate raw fish, went to Niagara Falls, made it onto a law journal and wrote a Comment, met a man exonerated from death row, toured the West Wing of the White House, and went to Disney’s California Adventure.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did not have a new year’s resolution, but I made a “Lenten resolution” to cook and eat fish, which was successful. I will try to think of something for this year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Some of my law school classmates’ wives gave birth. I still am in awe of people who are able to manage law school and a family, especially with newborns. I also learned that some people I know from high school had kids this year; thank you facebook.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I can recall.

5. What countries did you visit?
I went to Vietnam during winter break and stopped in Hong Kong on the way back.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A competent President, preferably from the Democratic Party. Also, a national championship in basketball.

7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 11- The day I finished my first year of law school.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Academically: Making it onto the Administrative Law Review and receiving an offer of publication for my comment.
Personally: Finding a way to happily balance law school with a social life and boyfriend in the city. Also, taking more risks.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Failure is such a harsh term. However, I think the worst thing I did was doubt myself and my decisions after a string of job rejections.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a weird cough during much of the Fall Semester; I attributed this to the 1L students I mentor because they were always sick.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A $30 suit from the Delaware outlets and a new laptop.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
People who make the most with what they have and also serve others. I think I know and met several people this year who fit this description.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
.The surprisingly number of irresponsible and selfish law students who jeopardized their partners’ grades by not pulling their weight on a joint appellate brief. I was especially disappointed because I go to the ‘nice’ law school where people help each other out.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Groceries, transportation (metro and airfare), and trying out new restaurants in the city.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Alex’s new job at George Washington University and his move down to DC.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
The Umbrella song that was always stuck in my head.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? Same I think.
iii. richer or poorer? Richer since I get paid as a Dean’s Fellow.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercised, and kept in contact with old friends.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Thought negative thoughts about people.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas with my family in San Clemente. It was a complete California Christmas with 70 degree weather and a view of the ocean.

22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Over and over again

23. How many one-night stands?
Not applicable

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Top Chef, Project Runway, Top Model, and the Office. I also have a not-so-secret addiction to the Real Housewives of OC.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I have a strong disdain for Mitt Romney

26. What was the best book you read?
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseni, the author of The Kite Runner.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Classical Music station on iTunes for when I study.

28. What did you want and get?
A KitchenAid Stand Mixer for Christmas. The fact that I did not explicitly ask for it made it even more exciting. Additionally, I wanted and received classes that I thoroughly enjoyed this fall.

29. What did you want and not get?
A summer associate position at one particular LA law firm, but it all worked out in the end because I will be in the much lovelier Santa Barbara.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Ratatouille and Juno.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
For my 23rd birthday, I went to two hearings on the Hill and went to happy hour with some friends. The following weekend, my roommate and I hosted a really fun appetizer party at our apartment.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Once again, I will say cheaper airfare. I realized that I have flown at least once a month since August.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
My usual classic look but with my color.

34. What kept you sane?
Support from family, friends, the boyfriend, and the roommate. Making to-do lists and checking things off. Also the realization that stressing out does not help anything.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
As a new fan of the show the Office, I’ve grown fond of the character of Jim.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
It is so hard to pick just one issue during primary election season! Probably immigration.

37. Who did you miss?
Friends from UCLA

38. Who was the best new person you met?
In addition to all the new people I met this year at school, probably Anil, my officemate at the Constitution Project.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Having goals is good, but so is having flexibility.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Although nothing monumental happened it 2007, I could best characterize it as a ‘fun’ year with a lot of travelling and seeing the people I love. Accordingly, here’s a song lyric that sums up that feeling…

“It starts in my toes
And I crinkle my nose
Where ever it goes
I always know
That you make me smile
Please stay for a while now
Just take your time
Where ever you go” –Bubbly

No comments: