Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Down and Up Day

After spending a relaxing holiday in 70-degree San Clemente, my family came back to Santa Clarita, where it was at least 30 degrees colder and 50 mph windier. The stark climate change reflected the crash back to reality we all faced. Though technically on winter vacation, I had a lot to do and today was quite the roller coaster of emotions. Fortunately the day ended on a positive note, but here is how it progressed:

Angry: A little past midnight, one of my friends called me because his girlfriend cheated on him. I felt so bad and just did not know what to say to him. I was so angry at this girl, who I do not even know, for hurting my friend so badly.

Sad: After I woke up this morning, I checked the news and found out that former Pakastani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto had been assassinated. It really makes you realize how much we take our democracy and generally peaceful lives for granted. I thought this quote from Bhutto before her death was very telling: “I am taking the risk of my life. And I am taking the risk and facing the dangers in my country, because I believe that all of the children of Pakistan are as dear to me as my own children. I want to see the children of Pakistan be treated to a better future than the children of my generation were.”

Shocked: After reading the news online, I hopped onto facebook, which told me that my cousin got engaged on Christmas (she is the first out of all the grandkids). Of course I am happy for her; it was just funny to learn about the engagement from facebook. Thank you 'relationship status' updates.

Exasperated: I decided I needed to jump back onto the summer job search train today. My afternoon was spent asking some well-connected people I knew for help, emailing a number of firms up and down the coast to see if they were still hiring, learning that most firms already finished their summer hiring in November, turning to internships in the government because they hire later, and writing more cover letters for said government positions. I think searching for a job is more frustrating and stressful than law school itself.

Relief/Euphoria: Not more than 30 minutes after I told my dad, "I just want the Santa Barbara firm to call and offer me a job," they did. I felt as though the biggest burden has been lifted off my shoulders, and I will now be able to enjoy the rest of winter break with my family, and Alex's family this weekend.

I will write more on this later, but in short, I will be a summer law clerk at a small Santa Barbara firm, Griffith & Thornburgh, working on general civil law matters, including Education Law. A summer in sunny paradise, a paying job, areas of law that I am excited about, and a short train ride to my parent's San Clemente house. I am so excited and now I do not have to be jealous about my brother's job and the big gift basket they sent him for Christmas.

No comments: