Thursday, November 01, 2007

West Wing'ing It

I once ran a Presidential campaign at UCLA against my now friend Josh. He lost, but so did my candidate. Josh moved on and ended up with a job at the White House. After 'serving at the pleasure of the President' for over a year, Josh is going on to work for John Ashcroft. (I know, you are probably asking yourself how I am friends with this staunch Republican).

A few of us from UCLA were lucky enough to be Josh's last West Wing tour. Although I was sad that we did not see Vice President Cheney dressed up as Darth Vader (it was Halloween after all), it was a great tour. In addition to seeing the Oval Office, Rose Garden, Press Room and more, we got to see the room where Bill and Monica...you know, the office where Nixon turned off the infamous Watergate tapes, and the room where Rove and Bush addressed the staff when the Democrats won power in 2006.

I also learned a lot. For example, the Oval Office is a lot smaller than it looks on television, and pictures of TR and FDR alternate in the Roosevelt room alternate based on which political party is in power. So politically nerdy, I loved it. Anyway, here are some pictures (the full set is here):

Entrance to the West Wing

In the Rose Garden, in front of the Oval Office

At the Press Secretary's Podium in the Press Briefing Room

And just think, in a little over a year, this house is going to have a new owner. I can't wait to see FDR's picture back on top in the Roosevelt Room.

No comments: