Sunday, October 21, 2007

Traditional Family Values

My dad made my family banana pancakes today. They were delicious; crispy on the edges with sweet gooey bananas on the inside. The only way I really like pancakes.

This is how I grew up. My mom did the majority of the cooking for our family but my dad still did a substantial part of kitchen duty. He is a pretty good cook, having once headed the kitchen for a night in a Paris kitchen. However, the favorite thing that he made on weekends when my mom was working was fried rice with spam. Yes, I admit it, I like Spam. (I grew up in the Midwest, don't judge).

In addition to cooking, my dad also shared laundry, dish-washing, cleaning, and other household duties. He probably actually loves cleaning, so you know where in inherited that gene.

So when I used to hear about other families where the mothers take care of all of the household responsibilities, I used to be surprised. When you grow with a household run a certain way, you think everyone is like that.

I am not one to judge how other households are setup, but I just know that my household will be a joint-responsibility venture. As much as I love cooking and cleaning, this future-lawyer will expect the husband to be making banana pancakes.

No comments: