Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Political Activist-ing

In DC
Although I'm not usually the protesting type, I went to a rally today to restore habeas corpus to Guantanamo detainees in front of the Capitol with my office. Some of us debated whether to stand out in the sun at noon on one of the hottest and most humid days in DC, but I figured we could roast for a little bit for people who are in worse conditions at Guantanamo.

Even though it was pretty unbearable outside, there was a great lineup of speakers revving up the crowd of people who go lobby their senators and congress members after the rally. Just a few of the many speakers included members of Congress, to comedian Greg Proops from Whose Line is it Anyway, Reverend Yearwood from the Hip Hop Caucus (he was amazing!), the ACLU and American Conservative Union, a rabbi, a priest, a muslim leader, etc. It almost sounds like the opening of a joke about people walking into a bar.

However, the most powerful speaker at the event was Sister Diana Ortiz, a teacher who was held in captivity in Guatamala without the opportunity to see a lawyer. She spoke about how one of the guards made her strip down, dance with him, burned cigarettes on her breasts, and urinated on her. Intense.

In LA
In other political action, I have also apparently gotten involved in Los Angeles politics unintentionally and unknowingly. Apparently they are trying to recall City Coucilman Jack Weiss. My friend messaged me and mentioned that the Recall Weiss website had a quote made by me on their website. (click below for a bigger image of the screenshot)

I wasn't sure if it was funnier that these people took my 2005 quote off the Daily Bruin webpage or that they just called me "Doan." "UCLA student" would have worked, among many other things, but I guess I can pretend to be someone famous enough to be identified by a single name...like Bono or something.

No comments: