Thursday, March 22, 2007

Diversifying

It's funny how when I went to UCLA, a campus that was 38% Asian-American, I wasn't part of any of the many Asian organizations. Come to my law school, the 8th most diverse law school in the nation but with only 6% Asian-American, and I now find myself the secretary of the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association.

And funny how I've decided not really to be active in the WCL Dems or Student Government, which would have been continuations of the two biggest parts of my undergrad life. What a difference a little time makes.

Now that I'm lifting my ban on extracurricular activities, it's interesting for me to reflect on what I'm choosing to do. I don't think I got sick of Democratic Party stuff or student gov (OK, maybe a little bit of the second), but I think I like exploring new types of activities. I also naturally gravitate towards places where I think I could really contribute. I was far too disgusted with how USAC was being run to not go in there myself and try to fix things; similarly I figured I couldn't complain about how APALSA was this year willing to put in work myself (which appears to be the catalyst of all the people who are going to be on next year's board).

I'm already really excited about trying new things next year...but I have to remind myself I have to finish this year first.

No comments: